There are some subtle differences between the online marketing approaches for start-ups compared to advice on a refreshed marketing campaign for established businesses.
New businesses must forge a strong identity and brand and let the world know what sets them apart from the competition. With this in mind, let’s take a look at 5 of the hottest tips for online marketing for new businesses.
- Let’s start with the big one. Make sure that your entire approach to a marketing campaign is all about establishing your identity and point of difference. The tone of your press releases is all important when it comes to finding a unique voice and brand. Make it clear how your costing is more competitive and reflective of a better and more unique product than your competitors. Emphasise the quality of your product or service, paying great attention to details. Make your customers understand just how your product or service is going to change their lives.
- Define your target audience. Understanding who you are trying to attract is imperative in all good marketing strategies. You must avoid wasting time appealing to the wrong demographic for your products or services and tailor your content and social media strategies to those who will be most likely to become solid leads.
- Get your SEO right. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is often a major problem for start-ups. Those going into business for the first time may be aware of SEO but most do not fully understand how to forge a successful strategy. Paying for a premium service would not be a wise starting point as it can quickly see a marketing budget eroded, but getting advice is vital. The most important piece of advice is probably to be patient. SEO is all about perseverance and understanding that success comes with time. Content (and keeping it fresh and relevant) remains hugely important and collaborating with guest bloggers to encourage cross-pollination is a wise move.
- In addition, the importance of social media continues to grow. Social media is easily up there when it comes to providing the best marketing bang for your buck. It provides a platform for developing brand awareness, offers huge scope for promotion and forging a unique, consistent voice and link to your customers, as well as understanding their desires and any problems. Make sure you engage with your customers – make them feel special by replying to comments and messages and learn about them by offering prizes in exchange for filled-in quizzes or questionnaires.
- Understand how to push your content into the limelight. Understanding that the old adage ‘content is king’ still rings true is one thing, but you also need to make sure that it is as far-reaching as possible. You could have the best piece of content online on a particular subject, but if only a handful of people were to read it, wouldn’t that be a crying shame? Collaborate with other blogs, share via social media platforms and include a link in an email mail-out and you will reap the rewards.